Wanted: Performers in Hamburg
for a theatre project by Abhishek Thapar
For the development of an art project based on the stories of migrants who are working in restaurant and hotel kitchens, theatre maker Abhishek Thapar is looking for a performer who is experienced in the hospitality industry and can host and manage the audience. The project invites the audience behind kitchen doors, to new encounters with their food, service and the people who serve them. Most restaurant goers do not know who actually cooks for them, who cleans their dishes, who clears away their food scraps, who works behind the kitchen doors. Abhishek Thapar wants to find out what stories are being brewed there.
The outcome of the project will be presented as an interactive performance at Kampnagel from 4th-6th May 2023 and will further travel to Ruhrfestspiele Recklinghausen from 15th-20th May 2023.
Profile for the role as restaurant host/hostess
- Aged 25-35 (looking), female or non-conforming preferred, BIPoC preferred
- Background: actor/performer with some experience of working in restaurants or hotel in hospitality industry
- Skills: Improvisation skills, hosting/master of ceremony, managing people
- fluent in English and German (written, reading, speaking)
- ideally experience in voice over work, podcast hosting experience
- Preliminary Place: Kampnagel, Jarrestraße 20, 22303 Hamburg
- Working languages: English, German
- Remuneration: 1500 Euros for rehearsals + extra fee for the performance days
- 13th Febuary - 3rd March (in Hamburg)
- 1st April - 26th April (in Hamburg)
- 27th April - 6th May (in Hamburg)
- 15th - 20th May (in Recklinghausen)
- These appointments will be arranged according to individual availability (except the last two dates, as they are the fixed show dates)
- 1-2 days getting to know each other + recording
- 1-2 days of workshop, 14 days of rehearsal
- 7 performance days in Hamburg & Recklinghausen
If interested, please submit your CV as well as a short statement of motivation until 31. January to Clara Tolle: tolleclarahanae[at]gmail.com (phone: +49 176 840 254 00).
Abhishek Thapar (born 1985 in Moga, India) is an independent theatre maker based in Amsterdam. He holds a postgraduate diploma in Physical Theatre from London International School of Performing Arts (LISPA) as well as a Master's degree in Theatre from the Das Theatre, Amsterdam University of the Arts (AHK). Abhishek’s work delves into the complexity of different narratives and narrative construction. In his works, he attempts to set aside preconceived ideas about identity, historical narratives, religion and politics, the migration debate, and environmental issues. As a theatre maker he seeks to engage the audience in a critical dialogue about current social issues in our globalized world.